Saturday, January 12, 2013

Personal Addition #9 - Essay and Immigration

To prepare us for our provincial exam, our English teacher asked us to do written piece; specifically the one that the grade 12 students had to write for the exam a year ago. The topic was 'Experiences'. Living a busy life and putting the assignment off, I hadn't completed it until after the exam itself. (As hard as it may be to believe due to my work ethic in this course, this was completely unlike me!) What was different about this piece is how thought provoking it was for me. In literary courses, most of the writing is done based off of novels. However, for the final exam, this isn't exactly an option. Tweaking my central idea for the topic of 'Responsibility', I wrote a personal essay about how the experience of immigrating from a different country has benefitted my life and has helped me with overcoming obstacles, self-initiated learning, and led to positive outcomes in young adult life. The strange thing about this topic is the fact that it wasn't just a bunch of BS! (Pardon my Français.) For once, I had written about something that is genuine and very true to me. The topic itself also led me to conclude just how grateful I am to have gone through all of the struggles, awkward moments, and the language barrier, as all of these things have drastically shaped the person I am today. Sorry for the cheesiness, I just had to share my excitement.

I now leave you with two things...

"Experience is the teacher of all things." - Julius Caesar

And yes, having to sit cross-legged on the floor in elementary school was an actual challenge for me! Not physically, of course. It was just a little strange after all the expectations of proper posture, manners, and you know, being told to avoid the dirty floor full of germs as a kid in Russia...

No comments:

Post a Comment